Each March, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics celebrates National Nutrition Month. The theme for 2018 is “Go Further with Food,” a reminder that each one of us holds the tool to make healthier food choices. Making small changes during National Nutrition Month, and over time, will help improve your health now and into the future.
Going further with food is important for many reasons. Whether it’s starting the day off with a healthy breakfast or eating right for an athletic event, the foods you choose can make a big difference. Preparing foods at home, rather than eating out, can be healthier and save you money in the long run.
Some ways in which we can make better choices are:
• Include a variety of healthful foods, from all of the food groups, on a regular basis.
• Consider the foods you have on hand before buying more.
• Buy only the amount that can be eaten or frozen within a few days. Plan ways to use leftovers later in the week.
• Be mindful of portion sizes. Eat and drink the amount that’s right for you, as ChooseMyPlate.gov encourages us to do.
• Continue to use good food safety practices.
• Find activities that you enjoy, and be physically active most days of the week.
• Realize the benefits of healthy eating, by consulting with a health care professional.
Find out more, including your personal daily calorie limit, at www.ChooseMyPlate.gov or call Naval Hospital Jacksonville’s Wellness Center at 904-542-5292. The Wellness Center is located next to Naval Air Station Jacksonville’s Fitness Center.
NH Jacksonville’s priority since its founding in 1941 is to heal the nation’s heroes and their families. The command is comprised of the Navy’s third largest hospital and five branch health clinics across Florida and Georgia. Of its patient population (163,000 active and retired sailors, soldiers, Marines, airmen, guardsmen, and their families), about 84,000 are enrolled with a primary care manager and Medical Home Port team at one of its facilities. To find out more or download the command’s mobile app, visit www.med.navy.mil/sites/navalhospitaljax.
|Date Posted:||03.01.2018 08:44|
|Location:||JACKSONVILLE, FL, US|